This is an instructional presentation in ten lessons teaching the basics of urban dance choreography and Hip Hop influenced movement. The video lessons are taught in a clear and easy-to-follow way – from warm-ups to basic moves, sequencing and cool downs. Learn how to put moves together to create your own dance or create team moves for your dance crew … the 8 count, the “and” count, waves and flows, footwork, turns etc.
An Urban Dance styles program for beginners by Rewind Dance Crew.
Written for primary school students who are urban dance beginners.
Would you like to incorporate urban dance (hip-hop etc) into your program but don’t know where to start?
Try our simple Powerpoint-style video presentation and let our young experts teach your students how to bust some sweet moves.
Leading Australian dance crew, Rewind, have been winning national dance competitions since the early 2000s and have represented Australia internationally at the World Hip Hop Championships in Los Angeles. They encourage an active lifestyle emphasising the importance of hard work and commitment and are active in promoting hip hop dancing through community classes and events, as well as pursuing their own competition goals.
The basics of urban dance choreography and Hip Hop influenced movements are taught in a clear and easy-to-follow way through 10 lessons – from warm-ups to basic moves, sequencing and cool downs. Learn how to put moves together to create your own dance or create team moves for your dance crew … the 8 count, the “and” count, waves and flows, footwork, turns etc.
- Play the videos and students will learn simple steps and sequences direct from the presentation
- Play the audio track and they can practice solo or in groups.
Here is a detailed explanation of the content provided in each lesson.
Lesson 1: The ‘8’ Count
- Use simple grooves to follow ‘1-2-3-8’ count
- Listening to the ‘8’ count
- Dancing to the Up Beat and Down Beat
Lesson 2: The ‘AND’ Count
- One AND two AND …
- Hitting in between the 8 count
- Building on the 8 count and feeling comfortable hitting more beats
- Dancing faster to hit the AND count
Lesson 3: Turns & Balance
- Different ways to turn: Step Turn
- Hopping Turn
- Drag Turn
- Keeping your balance through the turns
Lesson 4: Weight Shifting
- Knowing how to shift your body weight Side to side
- Front to back
- Learning where to place your weight to make moves easier
Lesson 5: Isolations
- Moving one part of the body at a time
- Breakdown the movement of basic limbs (head, arms, torso, legs)
- Moving parts of the body to the beat of the song
Lesson 6: Waving & Flows
- Arm waving Body waving
- Building on isolations to make them smoother
- Breaking down the Body Roll
Lesson 7: Hits & Accents
- Muscle control
- Hitting accents of the 8 count
- Learning the difference between soft & hard hits
- Stops & starts of music
Lesson 8: Levels & Drops
- Concentrates on high and low movements
- Movements that spring up & down quickly
Lesson 9: Basic Floor Work
- Movement to the beat, closer to the floor
- Knee movement
Lesson 10: Overview
- Putting the lessons together to create a basic routine
using all the skills from the previous lessons